Friday, January 25, 2013

Feature Post: Matthew from TrickShoppe

Hanging Wooden Cogs
If you are looking for fine craftsmanship and exceptional woodworking, look no further than Matthew of TrickShoppe on Etsy! Matthew's talents are amazing, and you can learn more about him below!
_____
1.Who are you and what do you sell?
My name is Matthew, and I'm a fourth generation woodworker, beginning with my great-grandfather who started in a veneer factory. I sell unique furnishings and accents which are ideal for the home, workshop, and place of business. My background and experiences are a harmonious combination of engineering, cnc machining, and excellent customer service, aside from my passions lying in music and video documentation. I have been recognized by artists and executives for my skills, from R. Lynn Costlow (Vice President, Multi-Channel Strategy & Operations for US CELLULAR) who exemplified my customer engagement techniques at a semi-annual business meeting regarding revenue, to Michele McLaughlin (world renowned pianist and composer) who had come across my piano playing videos a few weeks ago on YouTube and gave me excellent feedback on performing her songs. My woodworking has always been a hobby until May of this year, when I left a full-time position with US CELLULAR to establish my first lineup of wooden projects (usually falling within the lines of home furnishings). My leaders all had confidence in my abilities and aspirations, and even helped me to establish a short-term plan for getting my brand established. Needless to say I still have a lot of work to do, but i'm excited to see where my work will take me. Now I spend a part-time schedule receiving and dispatching rental vehicles, and when i'm off the clock i'm either in my wood-shop, or giving piano lessons to those who have the same passion for music as I do!

2.What inspired you to get started in your craft?
Jesus on the Cross Wooden Scultpure
When I started making these projects, it was for my own home. When my friends and relatives would see my work, they would get more excited than myself!! It was when they were telling their friends and relatives about my work, that people started paying to take my things home with them. I don't know what was more inspiring?; that people were dropping dollars to take my projects, or that my projects were now a part of their homes and everyday lives! One thing was for certain, that I could make even more unique projects to reach even more people. That is how professionals get started; Aside from gaining the knowledge that is critical to your profession, finding people who love your work, and then the word of your success spreading from one household to another!

3.What is your favorite part of your process?
My favorite part of the design and manufacture process (and hardest part) is finding that creative edge that gets me started on a new project! Building something new is like writing a song, it starts out with a feeling and then grows into something unique and genuine. Of course my second favorite part is seeing the final product and looking back at the hard work and passion that was necessary to create a new item for the first time!

4.Handmade: What inspires you the most while you create?
Over the years, I have branched out to friends and former coworkers who share a similar background. Reaching out to these people and seeing their drive to share knowledge is what I find most inspiring. Sometimes it seems as if the world is full of stingy people who want to keep knowledge and ideas to themselves, but once you've inspired others with your goals and perspective, you will find that people want to be a part of your journey, and give you whatever they can to help you succeed! Those are the ones I'd like to think for getting me started!

5.If you could pick, what is your most favorite item in your Etsy shop?
Oh gosh! If I HAD to pick a favorite project, it would be my Hanging Wooden Cogs. They are large, fun to make, and now that I have produced many sets they are somewhat easy to replicate! They use a lot of materials, and require a few days to make, but regardless I can offer them at a very reasonable price! I love to show them to someone for the very first time, and the initial reaction is always the same.. "I want them!"

6.Got any social media links?
Related to my woodworking, etsy.com is my only media outlet. However, I have a lot of fun on YouTube with my piano playing. Feel free to check it out! here is a link to some of my videos www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CN3cld_2A8
Here is one that has one of my pieces: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YafrisW5Iaw

Regina Spektor is an artist I find most inspiring! Her music really brings people together, and like myself, she strives on her ability to create.. Also she has fun with it!! For my birthday this year some lady-friends and I got together to reenact one of her music videos she made years back. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gsdMNQaoZc

7.Anything else that you want to share?
Autumn Trio
I've chosen to name my brand "TrickShoppe." When working in the woodworking industry, I've found myself surrounded by empowerment and slang-terms! When I created this name, I wanted to encompass the customization potential for my current items, the support from my level-headed and innovative team, and the versatile category for projects that are currently in the making! Basically I wanted a name that could easily stand behind ANYTHING that I choose to make! The term "Trick" is one way of saying "Awesome," "Unique," or "Wow I've never seen anything like that!"

I love Italian food and a good glass of wine on occasion!

Being outdoors will put me in a great mood, even on a cold and rainy day! I get a large chunk of my creative influence from nature.

If I can give one word of advice to help anyone achieve a goal in any profession, I would say that practice, prayer, and motivation will get you to wherever it is you want to go. "Ask and you shall receive" is what I've heard many times growing up in church. Nothing ever comes easy, but just keep your faith and stick with what you love, and God will grant you His will to your success!

No comments:

Post a Comment