Well, lye can be a dangerous chemical if handled the wrong way. Once mixed with water, lye can cause severe burns, even peel paint off of wood! When working with lye, always make sure to wear long sleeved shirts, pants, and closed toe shoes. You will also need the following safety equipment:
- thick gloves
- eye protection (glasses alone dont cut it!)
- optional: face mask or other respiratory protection
When making soap, you will need to mix lye and water together before adding it to your oils. There are a few rules to remember:
- ALWAYS wear your safety gear!
- Use #5 plastic containers to mix your lye and water in. NEVER use glass! Not even Pyrex!
- Never use wooden utensils to stir your mix with. The best ones I have found are silicone spatulas.
- ALWAYS pour your LYE into the WATER! Lye --> Water! If you mix this one up, you could have a lye volcano on your hands... not cool!