Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What's in a name?

A few weeks ago, I was talking to my Mom about my soaps and showing off my shiny business cards from Vista print, and she asked me "Why Second Spring Soaps?" (... then she made a joke about my soaps sounding "second-hand," but that's neither here nor there!)

So, I got to thinking about it... maybe others out there are curious as to why I chose this name for my soaps!

"Second spring" actually comes from a quote I stumbled upon over three years ago by French philosepher Albert Camus. The quote reads:
"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower."
I fell in love with this quote! I honed in on the words "second spring:... They spoke so softly to me... At the time, my husband and I were dating... We actually met when we were 7 and in elementary school together, but my parents and I moved away when I was 10, and we had just re-met and fallen in love about 4 months prior. I had been married previously, and I looked at my new life and new marriage to my husband as my second spring in life... my new shot!

So, I clung to the name for over a year. I've always wanted to make my living by creating things with my hands, and a friend directed me towards Etsy.com. After a few ideas at shops, one of which included knitted items (never got off the ground) and hemp jewelry (I worked hard for 6 months before deciding to rethink my shop), I finally settled on soap making, and Second Spring Soaps was born!

No comments:

Post a Comment